Friday, August 12, 2011

A few milestones to celebrate!

I am the first to admit that my self esteem has been at an all time low for quite a while now. I was too scared to join a gym. Then, once I overcame that, I was too scared to do a group fitness class. Then, once I overcame that, I was too scared to run on the treadmill in front of everyone. Then, once I overcame that, I was too scared to take off my T-shirt.

Well, I have smashed all those fears. I'm at the gym 6 days per week. I take classes whenever I can. I am doing the C25K program on the treadmill, and rocking it. And today, I wore a singlet and was NOT self conscious of my arms, as they are now no longer hideous! I have a, relatively, little tummy and waist, so I deserve to wear a singlet. Sure, my arms and hips still need work, but I am travelling a whole lot better than 50% of the girls at the gym, and this gives me confidence. None of us are there to show off, we're all there to try to be a better version of ourselves, so why should I keep being so hard on myself?

I wore the singlet in front of the kids, and Lara said, "I love that singlet" which was a massive thumbs up for me. If my teenage daughter approves of me wearing a singlet, I've gotta be happy, right??

Lord, it feels good to feel good. I can't believe that I felt like shit for so long, and did nothing about it. I feel like grabbing every sweet friend who is overweight and shoving this program down her throat, but I know that everyone has to find their own way here. God knows I had enough attempts before I was finally ready to do what it takes. In fact, I read Mish's CrunchTime books back in March, when my weight was probably at an all time high, and I thought, "OMG, she's too black and white, so harsh". It wasn't until a sidebar popped up on Facebook, I think it was, and I went to investigate the 12wbt, co inciding with turning 40, that something clicked. And clicked it has. I can't imagine not burning off 500+ calories per day, or eating clean.

People keep asking me about my "secret". I tell them, that it's what we know we all should do. Eat less, move more. Simple as that. I think though, that each person has to reach their own personal "low" in order for this mindset to kick in.


1 comment: